Terms and Conditions for the NatWest Remote Banking Services
This Section applies to you if we have agreed that you may use our telephone and online banking services, which allow you to operate your account by telephone or by accessing our website.
The General Conditions in this Section explain your rights and responsibilities and those of National Westminster Bank Plc regarding the use of the NatWest telephone and online banking services.
If you do not hold a NatWest credit card, the Conditions which relate to credit cards will not apply to you.
"We", "Us", "Our" means National Westminster Bank Plc
"You", "Your" for current and savings accounts means:
- in the case of an individual, the customer who has an account(s) with us on which the Service is available. If you have a joint account, references in these Conditions to "you" include each of you together and separately; or
- in the case of a limited company, any director, official and any other persons authorised by the customer to give instructions on the account(s); or
- in the case of a partnership, the individual partners (in their separate capacities of partners and individuals) and any other persons authorised by the customer to give instructions on the account(s); or
- in the case of a limited liability partnership, any member and any other person(s) authorised by the customer to give instructions on the account(s); or
- in the case of a sole trader or professional practitioner, the customer who has the account(s) and any other person(s) authorised by the customer to give instructions on the account(s); or
- in the case of a club, society or unincorporated body, any official and any other person(s) authorised by the customer to give instructions on the account(s); or
- in the case of a trust, any trustee and any other person authorised by the trustees to give instructions on the account(s).
"You", "Your" for credit card accounts means the customer who has a credit card account with us.
"Security Details" means the identifying words, codes and numbers agreed between you and us that are used in the security procedure.
"Service" means the NatWest telephone and online banking services when accessed using the telephone or internet.
- You authorise us to accept and act on your instructions and to pay to and from your account(s) the amounts involved when the transaction has been authenticated by the use of the security procedure we require you to follow.
- If you have a joint account, we will act on the instructions of any one of you but you are each responsible for all transactions carried out and for the repayment of any borrowing which arises on your account.
- You must keep your Security Details secret and take all reasonable precautions to prevent unauthorised or fraudulent use of them.
- You must not disclose your Security Details to any other person or record your Security Details in any way that may result in them becoming known to another person.
- Please note that after initial registration or enrolment we will never contact you, or ask anyone to do so on our behalf, with a request to disclose your Security Details in full. If you receive any such request from anyone (even if they are using our name and logo and appear to be genuine) then it is likely to be fraudulent and you must not supply your Security Details to them in any circumstances. You should report any such requests to us immediately.
- Where a transaction on the account is confirmed by use of the Security Details and the Service but you subsequently show that the transaction was not authorised by you, you will not be liable for that transaction provided you have kept your Security Details secret, you have acted with reasonable care and in accordance with these Conditions, and you have not acted fraudulently.
- If you suspect someone knows your Security Details you must contact us immediately. If you fail to do so, you will be liable for any unauthorised payments on your account confirmed by use of the Security Details.
- You will be responsible for all instructions given by you or anyone acting with your authority between the time you pass the security procedure and the time you exit from the Service. In your own interests, you should not leave the device you are using to access the Service unattended while you are still logged onto our website.
- Telephone calls may be recorded.
- Banking instructions received through the Service for your current and savings accounts on any business day will normally be processed that day. (You will be advised at the time you send the instruction if the instruction cannot be processed that day but will be processed the next business day).
- You are responsible for all transactions carried out using the Service and for repayment of any debt that arises from use of the Service.
- We reserve the right to charge you and you agree to pay the charges which apply when you use the Service or any part of it.
Availability of the Service
- While we will make reasonable efforts to provide the Service, we will not be liable for any failure to provide the Service, in part or full, for any cause that is beyond our reasonable control. This includes, in particular, any suspension of the Service resulting from maintenance and upgrades to our systems or the systems of any party used to provide the Service.
Variation/Termination of the Service
- We reserve the right to change the Service from time to time and shall give you notice of any material changes in accordance with the General Conditions as set out in 'Personal and Private Banking - Terms and Conditions'.
- We may suspend, withdraw or restrict the use of the Service or any part of the Service where:
Unless we are unable to contact you or there is a legal reason or other circumstances beyond our control preventing us from doing so, we will notify you personally before taking this action and provide our reasons for doing so. If we are unable to contact you beforehand, where possible we will notify you and give our reasons afterwards.
- we have reasonable grounds to suspect that your Security Details have not been kept safe; or
- we have reasonable grounds to suspect unauthorised or fraudulent use of your Security Details; or
- as a result of a change in the way you operate your account or in your financial circumstances, we have reasonable grounds to believe that you may have difficulty in meeting your commitments; or
- we consider it appropriate for your protection.
- You may terminate your subscription to the Service by notifying us. The notification will not be effective until we receive it.
Who we are
- Your account is with National Westminster Bank Plc.
- We are a member of the Royal Bank of Scotland Group (the Group). For information about our Group of companies please visit www.rbs.com and click on 'About Us', or for similar enquiries please telephone 0131 556 8555 or Textphone 0845 900 5960.
Your electronic information
- If you contact us electronically, we may collect your electronic identifier, (e.g. Internet Protocol (IP) address or telephone number) supplied by your service provider.
How we use your information and who we share it with
Your information comprises all the details we hold about you and your transactions, and includes information obtained from third parties.
- We may use and share your information with other members of the Group to help us and them:
We do not disclose your information to anyone outside the Group except:
- assess financial and insurance risks;
- recover debt;
- prevent and detect crime;
- understand customers' requirements;
- develop and test products and services.
We may transfer your information to other countries on the basis that anyone to whom we pass it provides an adequate level of protection. However, such information may be accessed by law enforcement agencies and other authorities to prevent and detect crime and comply with legal obligations. From time to time we may change the way we use your information. Where we believe you may not reasonably expect such a change we shall write to you. If you do not object to the change within 60 days, you consent to that change. If you would like a copy of the information we hold about you, please write to:
- where we have your permission; or
- where we are required or permitted to do so by law; or
- to credit reference and fraud prevention agencies and other companies that provide a service to us or you: or
- where we may transfer rights and obligations under this agreement.
Current & Savings Accounts:
The Data Protection Manager, National Westminster Bank Plc, Retail Regulatory Risk, 2nd Floor, Business House B, PO Box 1000, Edinburgh EH12 1HQ.
The Data Protection Officer, National Westminster Bank Plc, Cards Customer Service, PO Box 5747, Southend-on-Sea, SS1 9AJ.
A fee may be payable.
Credit reference agencies
We may make periodic searches at credit reference agencies and will provide information to the Group to manage and take decisions about your accounts. This may include information about how you manage your account including your account balance, credit limit and any arrears. We will also provide this information to credit reference agencies who may make this information available to other organisations so that they can take decisions about you, your associates and members of your household. The information may also be used for tracing purposes.
Fraud prevention agencies
If false or inaccurate information is provided and fraud is identified or suspected, details may be passed to fraud prevention agencies.
We may also obtain information about you from fraud prevention agencies.
Law enforcement agencies may access and use this information.
We and other organisations may also access and use this information to prevent fraud and money laundering, for example when:
- checking applications for, and managing credit or other facilities and recovering debt;
- checking insurance proposals and claims;
- checking details of job applicants and employees.
We, and other organisations that may access and use information recorded by fraud prevention agencies, may do so from other countries.
We can provide the names and addresses of the credit reference and fraud prevention agencies we use if you would like a copy of your information held by them. Please contact the agencies listed below, directly. The agencies may charge a fee.
- Equifax Plc
Credit File Advice Centre
- Consumer Services Team
Call Credit Plc
PO Box 491
- Experian Ltd
Consumer Help Service
t: 0870 241 6212